The Tenth Street Studio Building, constructed in New York City in 1857, was the first modern facility designed solely to serve the needs of artists. It became the center of the New York art world for the remainder of the nineteenth century.
The building helped to make Greenwich Village central to the arts in New York City, drawing artists from all over the country to work, exhibit, and sell their art. Winslow Homer and many artists of the Hudson River School, including Frederic Church, Lockwood de Forest and Albert Bierstadt, had studios there.
In 1879 William Merritt Chase moved into the main gallery. Chase’s studio in particular represented the sophisticated taste which came to characterize the building. Wikipedia